With the arrival of the cold, it is common for episodes of cough to arrive.
Cough is not only something that occurs in humans, but dogs can also suffer from it. In addition, at this time of year it is very common to be present.
When a dog has a cough, it should not be a warning sign or concern soon, because it is considered a very common disease and easy to treat most of the time.
However, it is important to observe other symptoms, since cough may be the cause of other more serious ailments.
What is a cough and how is it produced?
Cough is a movement that the body itself produces accompanied by the typical sound in order to eliminate substances or mucus that affect or irritate the lungs and throat.
The cough is a reflection of the body so that the throat is kept free and clear.
Most of the time the cough is annoying and insistent but, in reality, it helps the body to protect itself and heal.
The cough can come from many parts: from the larynx, from the bronchial tubes, lungs or the trachea and disappears after a few days, but when it is not, it has another origin.
Is a cough normal in dogs?
When a dog has a cough it is very normal.
If a dog has a cough it may be because he wants to expel something from his throat or some germ does not let him breathe well.
The same goes for people.
They can also cough for a cold or infection caused by a virus, but in general, it is something very normal in dogs.
However, it is necessary to know the dog, his behavior, age, to detect any change that indicates that something is not going well in his health.
Causes of cough in most common dogs
The most common is that dogs cough because they have a dry throat or eating something has become stuck.
There are different types of cough in dogs: irritative and wet
To know what happens to the dog it is necessary to know or identify what type of cough he has. Cough in dogs can be as follows:
- Dry and rough cough.
- Wet and deep cough.
By determining the type of cough, you can tell if the dog has a common cough or there is Some problem beyond its occurrence. It is important that this diagnosis be made by the veterinarian.
- Cough irritative : This occurs when the cough is strong, dry and constant or repetitive and can be painful for the dog. Some of its causes may be: infections in the dog's respiratory tract, inhaling food or any liquid, or presence of parasites.
- Wet cough : It is a cough that expels secretions and is more muted, with arcades. This cough is common after the dog has a rest or sleep.
How is the diagnosis of cough in dogs?
The veterinarian is the only one who should make this type of diagnosis with different tests to determine what is causing the cough in the dog and how it should be treated.
The veterinarian will make a complete evaluation of the dog in order to find the cause of the cough.
During the visit to the veterinarian it is important to let him know the following:
- Since when has the dog cough and what is its frequency?
- How is the cough?
- Do you cough more day or night?
- Do you cough when eating?
- Do you cough when walking or running?
- Do you have other symptoms?
Causes of cough in dogs
There are different causes for which a dog may have a cough, but the most common causes are:
- Ingesting something strange : It is normal for dogs to play and to swallow something that may remain in their throat in some carelessness. This is one of the most common causes. Discover here how to act if your dog has swallowed an object .
- Neck pressure : during the walk it is common for the dog Get out with your collar and leash, if you put a lot of pressure, you could start coughing, so the harness is always more recommended than the collar .
- Anatomical abnormality : the most frequent in some races such as the boxer is brachycephalic syndrome that produces cough, intolerance to physical activity, shortness of breath, among other evils
- Heart problems : When dogs are adults and are small, they may have a problem with their heart. When so, the presence of cough is a symptom, but especially at night. Other symptoms are weakness, and intolerance to exercise.
- Bacterial pneumonia : it is the inflammation of the lung and is caused by different bacteria.
- Chronic bronchitis : When the cough extends for several weeks and exceeds two months, it is very likely that it is a chronic bronchitis.
- Trachea collapse : This is more common in small breeds and in older dogs. Here is more information about tracheal collapse in dogs .
Cough treatments in dogs
In order to choose the correct treatment, the veterinarian's evaluation is necessary, especially if the cough has not ceased for many days.
However, rest will be essential, in order to strengthen the dog's immune system.
In other cases, the doctor will prescribe antibiotics, painkillers, bronchodilators, etc.
Apart from rest it is important that the dog remain well hydrated with enough fresh water and give it wet food.